I love a good holiday. Especially when it’s one of those made up, life-is-oh-so-good holidays. And today, we are celebrating another one. It’s National Pina Colada Day! Now I don’t know why someone thought having a pina colada day was in order, but I’m not complaining! I’ll take me some healthy smoothies (and an excuse for rum) any day of the week! Yes, I said healthy! Pina Coladas are packed with energy, vitamins and enzymes (sans alcohol–sorry!). When it’s moms only time, you can throw a little captain in there for a fun summertime girlfriend drink. (Never feed alcohol to dogs)
So here’s why Pina Coladas are so stinkin’ healthy:
These flower power fruits are not only making a comeback in interior design, they’re making a health comeback as well!
- Low calorie
- High in manganese, which helps regulate blood sugar, calcium absorption and many other bodily processes. Dogs, especially raw fed ones, can be low on this mineral due to they’re diets.
- Have an enzyme called Bromelain, which acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory. It can reduce inflammation in muscles and joints. It also fights cancer… my favorite.
Who doesn’t love a good mango? While, this fruit is not making a design comeback, it surely is and has been here to stay in the nutrition world. This little egg-shaped luscious plant is also packed with nutrients.
These babies are:
- packed with potassium and magnesium, which is great for heart health.
- It has almost every vitamin under the sun, and a great occasional supplement for any deficiencies you and your pup might have.
- It’s also a powerful antioxidant! Again, this fights many diseases, such as heart disease, cancer and aging. The antioxidants suck up all the free radicals that are just going to party town in your bodies.
- And as you guessed it, my FAVE… They help fight cancer! (Before cancer starts. Never feed a dog WITH cancer sugar, starch or carbohydrates)
Always remember, these are added calories… so feed your dogs less food on days you give them these treats!
***ALSO IF YOUR DOG HAS CANCER, DO NOT FEED THEM SUGAR/STARCH/CARBOHYDRATES. SUGAR FEEDS CANCER. AND THESE FRUITS CONTAIN SUGAR.
Here’s the recipe for how I made this LUSCIOUS (did I say that already??) shareable smoothie!
Recipe For Dog Friendly Pina Coladas To Share:
Makes two human milkshakes, or a human and two big dogs, or 5 pupsicle molds… you choose!
1 cup organic frozen pineapples (try to buy them pre-frozen so you don’t have to chop and freeze!)
- 1 cup organic (if you can!) frozen pineapples
- 1/2 cup organic frozen mangoes
- 1 can of organic coconut cream
- 2 TBS organic almond butter
- 1 TBS unsweetened coconut flakes
Throw them all in a high powered blender and put on the smoothie setting and you’re rocking and rolling! No power blender? That’s ok, just mix on the highest setting for 1 minute.
Serve up a few tablespoons in a bowl (depending on your dog’s size… my dogs are both 65 pounds) and drink the rest for yourself. OR there’s an option to freeze them and make shareable pupsicles for a hot day. I’ll also throw these in a kong and freeze overnight for anxiety killers.
FOR MOMS ONLY: add an ounce of rum and some ice, after you separate some virgin coladas for your dogs… and bring to bookclub. You friends will love it! Use these glass straws to differentiate your mom smoothie from your dogs and also because… the environment 🙂
If the smoothie is too thick for you, just add a little almond milk or water to thin it out. You could also use a splash of coconut water, but let’s not go too crazy on the sugars, k?
HAVE FUN AND SEND ALL PICTURES TO @LIFEWITHLAKER ON INSTAGRAM FOR A FEATURE. Cheers!